Thisishenry

Friday, January 05, 2007

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

I've been reading an incredible book since Christmas. It's called "The Unbearable Lightness of Being". It's philosophical but it has a gripping story. The writing style is unlike any I've read before.

For example the author gives himself a voice and starts to 'talk' out of the blue in the middle of a chapter. It would seem a little random but is intriguing rather than annoying. In another part he writes a chapter as an afterthought to a previous chapter - writing this quite clearly. It's as if part of the book is a narrative about writing a book.

The story is of a husband and wife. From when the meet through to ... ? I haven't finished yet. I think they die though - there were some hints. It's set in Prague in the 60s and 70s. The man is a prolific womaniser, the woman knows this but has deep rooted 'issues' and won't leave him despite the infidelity.

Cow xxxIMAGExRIGHTxALTTEXTxxx

Book Cover; Random Image from Google Images (search for book title!)



What I think I like is the lack of detail. It skims over the story and puts most of the 'effort' into describing emotions and thoughts. At the same time I think I'm gripped by the story.

It's by Milan Kundera (amazon link).

I suppose I felt compelled to share that as the book is so intriguing. I'm going to post some photos in a seperate post.

Ciao!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home